April 22nd, 2015
Under pressure for their faith.
Socially marginalized for holding to Christian doctrine.
Searching for hope and encouragement in troubled times.
Wrestling with submitting to an increasingly hostile government.
Wondering why in the world God was allowing pain and suffering in their path.
These are the real-life concerns of Christians the Apostle Peter addressed when he wrote 1 and 2 Peter. Join us Sundays at 10:30 am for Through the Fire, To the Feast, a fascinating and relevant journey through these two biblical books.
On Sundays, Lead Pastor Jonathan Matías is expositionally leading the congregation through a passage from 1 and 2 Peter, explaining and applying God’s Words in a practical and encouraging way, with a view toward pointing to the glory and grace of Jesus Christ. Join us for Through the Fire, to the Feast at 10:30 am on Sundays at Grace Church of Alexandria.
April 1st, 2015
Jesus got up early on Easter Sunday, so why don’t you too?
Come enjoy a lovely time of prayer and breakfasty snacks at Prayer Brunch this Easter Sunday, April 5 from 9:20 to 10:07 am.
- Food and drink table opens at 9:20 am…it’s not a continental breakfast, but is a selection of tasty breakfast snacks to enjoy while we fellowship.
- Then at 9:35 am we’ll begin praying with thanks and requests to the Lord.
- Children’s Bible Class will take place as usual in the library for kids ages 7-10 at 9:30 am.
No need to bring a dish this time; Suzanne Altizer, our new Refreshments Team Leader, has got it all covered!
February 24th, 2015
Adult Bible Class
Join us at 9:30 am for engaging studies & discussions at Adult Bible Class (ABC) in March, April, and May. The ABC schedule is as follows:
- Church History Q&A – March 1. “Where Does GCA fit in the Spectrum of Church History? Bring your questions about church history and GCA. Last in the Church History series.
- Community Group Leaders Workshop – March 8. a discussion for all community group leaders and anyone interested/curious about how to lead a small group.
- Kingdom Come: Living Under the Reign of Christ – March 15 thru April. A 6-week study of the present and coming reign of Christ, based on The Gospel Project curriculum.
- Information Meetings on GCA’s New Governing Documents – Coming in May. Presentations and Q&A on a (slightly) revised constitution and statement of faith.
Children’s Bible Class (Ages 7-10)
Have kids who are Ages 7-10? Children’s Bible Class for kids ages 7-10 is offered at 9:30 am Sundays in the library.
February 21st, 2015
1:30 pm Update – West Community Group IS MEETING tonight at the Bean home. Details below. But Old Town Community Group is CANCELED due to unplowed street and no parking options at the host home.
Grace Church’s morning service & all classes are CANCELED this Sunday February 22. We will not meet in the morning due to ice & snow.
Instead, come on out to a community group later in the day, weather permitting:
- 6:30 pm West Community Group at the Bean Home (9561 Penhook Ct #204, Manassas, VA). Host phone # is (703) 987-8963.
4:30 pm Old Town Group at the Frost Home (624 Kings Cloister Circle, Alexandria, VA 22302). Host phone # is (703) 887-9754.
Everyone is welcome to a community group, even if this is your first time visiting one.
February 12th, 2015
Update: This workshop for Community Group leaders is moved to March 8 due to the snow day GCA had last week.
Do you occasionally lead the discussion at your GCA Community Group? Join us for a workshop designed specifically to serve you – a roundtable discussion on effectively leading your community group discussions. This one-time Community Group Leaders Workshop will be at 9:30 am Adult Bible Class on Sunday, March 8.
- The pastors will review tips for wisely leading discussions of your group;
- We’d like to hear from you with ideas on what’s working (and what’s not) at your small group, during the open mic time;
- Bring your questions about how to have an effective small group.
By comparing notes with each other, you’ll learn from other groups and be renewed for another year of discipling and caring for those who attend yourGCA community group.
Breakfasty treats will be waiting for you to enjoy at 9:20 am for a relaxed, open time of sharing and encouragement.
December 31st, 2014
Christ died for the church, and now he lives for the church.
And so should we.
Why does the church play such a big part in God’s redemption plan? How does God intend to use the church to help me grow in the faith? Why should I bother to join a church?
These and more are questions we’re exploring in The Church…the Dearest Place on Earth, the Winter 2015 sermon series at Grace Church of Alexandria.
From January to March we’re discussing how to get the most out of your Grace Church experience, and how God may use you to contribute to the lives of others. We’re covering:
- The Big Picture: Why out of love God would spill blood for his church
- The Centrality of the Gospel: the cross is at the heart of everything at Grace Church
- How to Talk to God About Your Church: what to pray for your local church
- Scripture Intake: why the Word of God is your lifeblood; you can’t live without it.
- The Gospel + Relationships = Growth: how to form discipleship relationships
- Take Me To Your Leader: how to follow the leaders God gives your church.
- Evangelism is a Team Effort: when it comes to witnessing, you don’t have to go-it-alone
- Membership: Don’t Leave Home Without It: Why join a local church?
- Changed Into His Image: how God uses tough love and relationships to grow us.
Join us Sundays at 9:30 am for Church History Adult Bible Class and 10:30 am worship service for The Church, the Dearest Place on Earth.
December 2nd, 2014
This December at Grace Church, come get an in-depth look at the splendor and glory of Jesus Christ in a special Christmas sermon series, Captivated By His Beauty. These sermons will paint a portrait of the One who came out of love to rescue us on that first Christmas morning. We’ll consider:
Who is this infinite One who contained himself as a fragile, vulnerable child in the manger?
What is Christ able to do for us because he took on flesh for us through the incarnation?
What is so compelling about the Lord Jesus that stokes our joy and gives us indomitable hope?
Join us Sundays at 10:30 am in December:
- December 7: The Glory of the Pre-Incarnate Christ
- December 14: The Glory of the Incarnate Christ
- December 21: Christmas Meditations
- December 28: The Glory of the Exalted Christ
Listen to the song that inspired the sermon series title: Hast Thou heart Him, Seen Him, Known Him?
November 18th, 2014
GraceBooks resources available on Sundays at GCA are on sale!
- All GraceBooks Table books & DVD’s now 75% off.
- GraceBooks will close down Dec. 31, so all items are discounted.
- Items are by donation. So pay 25% or even take an item for free if you cannot afford it. Yes, take it! Resources are there to serve you.
Questions? See John Martin (GraceBooks Table manager).
We’d like to keep the book table running, but with so many resources available via the internet, we’ll transition to highlighting good resources on our web site, blog, and The City as well as through occasional book reviews.
October 30th, 2014
For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.
~ 2 Corinthians 8:9
New Online Giving Option
The Bible encourages believers to give back to the Lord from his provision to us. To help making giving easier as an act of worship to God, this week we’ve launched online giving via The City for church offerings to Grace Church of Alexandria.
How to Give?
- Where: Go to The City, GCA’s online meeting place which is at gca.onthecity.org. Then select Giving from the left menu.
- Need an account? If you do not have access to The City, click here to request an invite.
- How: Set up a method for giving (checking account or credit card).
- Which Fund? Choose which fund(s) to give toward (regular offerings go to the General Fund, or choose a special fund).
- Frequency? Decide if this is a one-time gift or a recurring gift to repeat weekly, bi-weekly or monthly
Where Your Gifts Go
You can choose for your tax-deductible contribution to go towards the following options:
Regular offerings to go…
- the General Fund (for the overall ministries of the church)
- the GCA Future Fund (building and projects fund)
- the GCA Adoption Fund (to help fund adoptions and post-adoption training), or
- the 2014 Thanksgiving Offering (to benefit Aaron and Carrie Kraft, missionaries to Mexico).
A small administrative fee of several percent is deducted from each gift. Feel free to add between 1-3% to your gift to compensate for the processing fee (which does not go to GCA).
The Heart of Giving
As you give online, remember that this is a gift of worship to bring honor and praise to the LORD. To maintain a heart of worship, consider taking time to reflect and pray when you log in and give online. If you set up automatic giving once a month, considering scheduling a time for reflection and prayer once a month on the day your gift is scheduled to be sent.
See Jonathan Matías, the lead pastor, with questions about the new online giving system.
August 26th, 2014
Two new Bible classes have launched in for kids ages 7 to 10 and for adults! Join us Sundays at 9:30 am for these special offerings that are a key part of the Grace Church experience.
Church History Adult Bible Class – 9:30 am Sundays
This 13-week class retells stories of how Christ is building his church. Hear of the gospel’s advance in
- the early church,
- the Middle Ages,
- the Reformation,
- the English Reformation,
- the Great Awakening,
- and the 21st century.
Along the way, learn about key Christian doctrines and how the church has guarded the core set of Christian beliefs known as orthodoxy. Bring your questions for this interactive class! Let’s grow together in the Christian faith!
Children’s Bible Class for Ages 7-10 – 9:30 am Sundays
Drop your children off ages 7 to 10 for Children’s Bible Class while you go attend the 9:30 am Adult Bible Class. Your kids will hear a lesson from The Gospel Project which traces God’s redemption plan through the Bible at a level your kids can understand. Please arrive prior to 9:30 am to check in your children in the library where the class meets.