Enjoying God: Lessons on Spirituality from David Brainerd
Sundays at 9:30 am in July and August
Join us at Grace Church of Alexandria each Sunday at 9:30 am for an insightful discussion on how to enjoy God, from the life and example of David Brainerd. Each class attendee receives a free devotional guide based on Brainerd’s writings.
Why Learn from David Brainerd?
David Brainerd was a courageous single man who ministered in the 1800’s for four years among Native American Indians in Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey. His diary and journal capture the heart of a young man captivated by the beauty of Christ. Generations of Christians have found lessons for their own spiritual lives from the honesty, habits, and view of God of David Brainerd.
Finding God Even In Depression
Like many Christians today, David Brainerd suffered from life-long depression and despair. His transparent writings show believers the way forward to enjoying God even when your feelings aren’t following.
Enjoying God: Lessons on Spirituality from David Brainerd
Starting Sunday July 5th, we are discussing the following aspects of spiritual life, over donuts and coffee at 9:30 am:
Spirituality: Manifesting Jesus’s Likeness in your love
Salvation: Seeing Jesus’ glory in your heart
Sunday Worship: Celebrating Jesus’ victory in your week
Secret Duties: Praying for Jesus’ exaltation throughout your day
Self-examination: Longing for Jesus’ perfect likeness in your life
Suffering: Reflecting Jesus’ humility during your hardships
Strength in Weakness: Glorifying Jesus’ Power through your frailty
May 27th, 2015
We will be collecting backpacks and school supplies for Samuel W. Tucker Elementary School students in need. We are grateful to be able to meet in the school for worship on Sundays and would like to give back to the school community.
Collection dates: from May 31 to July 5.
List of supplies: at the Welcome Table on Sundays or email the church to request it. Monetary donations are also accepted. You can gather a full backpack, or a dozen of the same needed item (erasers, for example), or whatever combination you’d like.
To Donate: Please put your donations in the plastic bin at church or give directly to project coordinator Dominique Johnson.
Thank you for helping to give back to our community!
Have you recently begun attending and checking out Grace Church? You are invited to a special 2-day event just for you!
Introduction to Grace Church Class
Sunday June 14 + Sunday June 21
9:00 am to 10:20 am
A catered lunch at 12 pm will be held on one of these days.
Questions? See Deacon of Membership Dave Ruse who is organizing the 2-day class by writing him here.
Childcare: Need childcare? When you RSVP, mention the ages and number of children so we line up screened childcare workers for the class.
May 22nd, 2015
Be on the lookout for road closures due to Rolling Thunder which happens during GCA’s morning gathering.
April 22nd, 2015
Under pressure for their faith.
Socially marginalized for holding to Christian doctrine.
Searching for hope and encouragement in troubled times.
Wrestling with submitting to an increasingly hostile government.
Wondering why in the world God was allowing pain and suffering in their path.
These are the real-life concerns of Christians the Apostle Peter addressed when he wrote 1 and 2 Peter. Join us Sundays at 10:30 am for Through the Fire, To the Feast, a fascinating and relevant journey through these two biblical books. Together we will explore Peter’s meditations of hope for a journey of faith in this broken world.
On Sundays, Lead Pastor Jonathan Matías is expositionally leading the congregation through a passage from 1 and 2 Peter, explaining and applying God’s Words in a practical and encouraging way, with a view toward pointing to the glory and grace of Jesus Christ. Join us for Through the Fire, to the Feast at 10:30 am on Sundays at Grace Church of Alexandria.
April 1st, 2015
Jesus got up early on Easter Sunday, so why don’t you too?
Come enjoy a lovely time of prayer and breakfasty snacks at Prayer Brunch this Easter Sunday, April 5 from 9:20 to 10:07 am.
- Food and drink table opens at 9:20 am…it’s not a continental breakfast, but is a selection of tasty breakfast snacks to enjoy while we fellowship.
- Then at 9:35 am we’ll begin praying with thanks and requests to the Lord.
- Children’s Bible Class will take place as usual in the library for kids ages 7-10 at 9:30 am.
No need to bring a dish this time; Suzanne Altizer, our new Refreshments Team Leader, has got it all covered!
February 24th, 2015
Adult Bible Class
Join us at 9:30 am for engaging studies & discussions at Adult Bible Class (ABC) in March, April, and May. The ABC schedule is as follows:
- Church History Q&A – March 1. “Where Does GCA fit in the Spectrum of Church History? Bring your questions about church history and GCA. Last in the Church History series.
- Community Group Leaders Workshop – March 8. a discussion for all community group leaders and anyone interested/curious about how to lead a small group.
- Kingdom Come: Living Under the Reign of Christ – March 15 thru April. A 6-week study of the present and coming reign of Christ, based on The Gospel Project curriculum.
- Information Meetings on GCA’s New Governing Documents – Coming in May. Presentations and Q&A on a (slightly) revised constitution and statement of faith.
Children’s Bible Class (Ages 7-10)
Have kids who are Ages 7-10? Children’s Bible Class for kids ages 7-10 is offered at 9:30 am Sundays in the library.
February 21st, 2015
1:30 pm Update – West Community Group IS MEETING tonight at the Bean home. Details below. But Old Town Community Group is CANCELED due to unplowed street and no parking options at the host home.
Grace Church’s morning service & all classes are CANCELED this Sunday February 22. We will not meet in the morning due to ice & snow.
Instead, come on out to a community group later in the day, weather permitting:
- 6:30 pm West Community Group at the Bean Home (9561 Penhook Ct #204, Manassas, VA). Host phone # is (703) 987-8963.
4:30 pm Old Town Group at the Frost Home (624 Kings Cloister Circle, Alexandria, VA 22302). Host phone # is (703) 887-9754.
Everyone is welcome to a community group, even if this is your first time visiting one.
February 12th, 2015
Update: This workshop for Community Group leaders is moved to March 8 due to the snow day GCA had last week.
Do you occasionally lead the discussion at your GCA Community Group? Join us for a workshop designed specifically to serve you – a roundtable discussion on effectively leading your community group discussions. This one-time Community Group Leaders Workshop will be at 9:30 am Adult Bible Class on Sunday, March 8.
- The pastors will review tips for wisely leading discussions of your group;
- We’d like to hear from you with ideas on what’s working (and what’s not) at your small group, during the open mic time;
- Bring your questions about how to have an effective small group.
By comparing notes with each other, you’ll learn from other groups and be renewed for another year of discipling and caring for those who attend yourGCA community group.
Breakfasty treats will be waiting for you to enjoy at 9:20 am for a relaxed, open time of sharing and encouragement.
December 31st, 2014
Christ died for the church, and now he lives for the church.
And so should we.
Why does the church play such a big part in God’s redemption plan? How does God intend to use the church to help me grow in the faith? Why should I bother to join a church?
These and more are questions we’re exploring in The Church…the Dearest Place on Earth, the Winter 2015 sermon series at Grace Church of Alexandria.
From January to March we’re discussing how to get the most out of your Grace Church experience, and how God may use you to contribute to the lives of others. We’re covering:
- The Big Picture: Why out of love God would spill blood for his church
- The Centrality of the Gospel: the cross is at the heart of everything at Grace Church
- How to Talk to God About Your Church: what to pray for your local church
- Scripture Intake: why the Word of God is your lifeblood; you can’t live without it.
- The Gospel + Relationships = Growth: how to form discipleship relationships
- Take Me To Your Leader: how to follow the leaders God gives your church.
- Evangelism is a Team Effort: when it comes to witnessing, you don’t have to go-it-alone
- Membership: Don’t Leave Home Without It: Why join a local church?
- Changed Into His Image: how God uses tough love and relationships to grow us.
Join us Sundays at 9:30 am for Church History Adult Bible Class and 10:30 am worship service for The Church, the Dearest Place on Earth.